About Me

My photo
After getting my first passport in 2006 and traveling to climb Kilimanjaro in Tanzania my life changed. I began the process of getting rid of all my possessions and traveling the world. Traveling to over 125 countries and all 7 continents, hostels have been my home. This "new life" has taught me what is important and it was NOT accumulating money or possessions. Traveling is the best education. I hope my blog will encourage others to travel. My World Tattoo was a way for me to express my PASSION FOR TRAVEL.

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2020

SECTION 9. (2014 TRAVELS)

CHAPTER 27.   MEXICO, THAILAND,  INDIA,  BURMA (MYANMAR), VIETNAM & INDONESIA 

MEXICO

January 1-8th. 

New Years in Merida, Mexico. Next day I took the 6:30 am (2 hour) bus to Chichen Itza to visit the Mayan Ruins, one of the 7 Wonders of the World. Later that afternoon I bus another 3.5 hours to visit my friend Mindi for some fun and sun before my flight to Asia on the 8th from Cancun to Bangkok.


ASIA

 January 8, 2014.   (Flight to Bangkok, Thailand)

This journey began catching a bus at 8 pm from Playa del Carmen to Cancun after visiting my friend, Mindi, for several days. The bus ride was only 45 minutes but the night in the airport took forever. My flight did not leave until 7am the next morning. And then in the wisdom of Delta Airline, My flight to San Francisco had a 6 hr layover in Atlanta, then another connection in Detroit before arriving LATE in San Francisco at 11:15 pm. Unfortunately my SFO flight to Bangkok leaves at midnight. Somehow I made it. Then the China Airlines flight to Tapeii had some diifficulty so we were late there. They held the connecting flight to Bangkok for us and we made it but those who do NOT use carryon baggage only did not get their baggage. I made it to Bangkok at 11 am on January 10th, a journey of about 39 hrs. The joy of travel. Lol


January 10th.   (THAILAND,  Bangkok)

Not my favorite place and as a rule, not a fan of big cities. But here I am for 4 days as I apply for my Visa to India. I finally got all my info complete and hopefully will get my Visa in the next 6-8 days. I did go visit the Grand Palace and Reclining Buddha which was nice. Also had nice boat ride down tne river.

January 14th.   (THAILAND,  Koh Samed)

With protests going on in Bangkok and the fact I don't like Bangkok, I decided to visit the island of Koh Samed or Koh Samet for the 1st time. I had at least a week before my Visa for India will be ready and it was only 4 hrs from Bangkok. I have visited many islands in Thailand and most are more beautiful than here BUT this is probably my favorite. Beautiful beaches, inexpensive rooms and food and its compact. You can walk everywhere. Not as touristy as other islands. Lots of ex pats from Finland, Sweden and Russia along with big crowds of Thais from Bangkok on weekend but not too crowded.


January 22, 2014.  (THAILAND, Bangkok)

Now that I have gotten my Indian Visa and Myanmar Visa, just waiting for flight to New Delhi on Sunday. Have found something I like in Bangkok, KFC has 2 chicken breasts, fries and drink for $2.95 including tax. Will use savings to let out my waistline. Lol.


January 26, 2014.   (Flight from Bangkok to Delhi, India)

I stayed a couple of days in New Delhi before starting the Golden Triangle which includes Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. I am also including a Tiger Safari, Jaisalmer and camel safari.


January 28, 2014.   INDIA, Agra,  Taj Mahal)   Red Fort 

My hotel was only 5 minutes from the Taj Mahal but unfortunately it was closed by the time I arrived. Early plans tomorrow. 

January 29, 2014.  (TAJ MAHAL)

Up at 6 am and at gates at 6:45 awaiting the 7 am opening. Amazing views at sunrise. The entrance fee was 750 rupees ($12.50) which is not much for one of  7 wonders of the World. A local guide inside the Taj Mahal kept following me and asking to be my guide. I did not want to pay an extra fee but he kept pointing out a few good places to take pictures so I gave him an adequate tip for his help. 

The Taj Mahal is an ivory white mausoleum commissioned in 1632 to house the tomb of his favorite wife who died in childbirth. It was built over a 20 year period.


There is a miniature version of the Taj Mahal in Agra, just much smaller and considered a draft and practice version of the much larger Taj Mahal which I also visited. 


January 30, 2014.   (Taj Mahal at sunset)

Supposedly one of the great pictures you can take is from across the river. Usually there us a tour fee involved to get to that location. Fortunately a local near the Taj Mahal entrance told me that local fishermen docked the side of the Taj Mahal would row you to the middle of the River for $1 to get the perfect photo, which I did.


February 1-3rd, 2014.    (INDIA, Jaipur)

I took a bus for the 4 hour journey to Jaipur. While here I visited the Amber Fort and made plans for a Tiger Safari which I am looking forward to.


February 3-5th, 2014.   (Tiger Safari in Ranthambhore National Park)

I stayed in Sawai Modhapur 2 nights and did 3 safaris to Ranthambhore National Park. This is one of the best areas in India to see the elusive Tiger. They say there is usually only  10% chance of seeing one. The region is divided into 6 regions and luck of the draw determines your regions. There are about 43 Tigers here. The cost is minimal, only about $35 pet safari including entrance. Unfortunately no luck but the last day there was a sighting near the main road as we approached our zone but it had gone by the time we arrived. It is a mountainous area and very beautiful. We did see a hyena, though my pic is not so good. We also saw lots of deer, peacocks, owls, other birds, crocodiles, monkeys and a wild boar. Definitely should have stayed a couple more days and tried again but another journey.


February 5-7th, 2014.    (INDIA,  Jodhpur)

Another long bus (6 hours).  Jodhpur is a city in the Thar Desert. It's 15th century Meghrangarth Fort is now a museum displaying weapons, paintings and elaborate royal chairs. 


February 7-10th.    (INDIA,  Jaisalmer)

Went to Jaisalmer specifically for the camel safari but the fort was amazing. Jaisalmer is a "living fort" as people live and have shops within its walls. Stayed at guesthouse Surja which had an amazing view of the man made lake and sunrise. Jaisalmer was definitely my favorite place in India on this trip.


February 10-11th, 2014.   (Camel Safari)

Due to time constraints I only did a 1 night safari into the desert, only 60 miles from Pakistan border in the Thari Desert. Great experience but not a fan of riding camels, very painful. Great bunch on safari with 2 From Australia (Tasmania), 1 girl from Netherlands, 1 girl from China, 1 guy from Belgium, another from Spain and me. Quite the conversations while sitting around the camp fire.


February 12-14th, 2014.   (Overnight train Jaisalmer to New Delhi)

Not sure what I was thinking but took an 18 hour overnight train to New Delhi. To make things worse I chose to purchase a 3rd class ticket, which was the cheapest, because I am a backpacker. Now its obvious to me sometimes I am a stupid  backpackers. After securing me place on a wooden bench, a young Indian boy sat next to me and asked if I was lost. I asked why and he said this was 3rd  class. He said backpackers take the much more comfortable 2nd class which was only $1.50 more. Lesson learned, cheaper may not be best option always. I am still learning every day. He was happy since he had an opportunity to practice his English. As the night progressed, it got colder and the numerous holes in the walls of the 3rd class car did little to stop the air.  Most others had blankets but not me. Lesson learned.  One last night in New Delhi and flight to Mandalay,  Myanmar. 


February 15, 2014.   (New Delhi to Bangkok to Mandalay)

Long day but finally arrived in Mandalay . 

February 16th - February 2nd, 2914  (MYANMAR, Mandalay and Bagan)

Wonderful to revisit Myanmar (Burma) again since they are no longer under military rule. After a few nights in Mandalay, I took a boat  to Bagan. The 8 hour boat ride took 32 hours as we ended up grounded due to low water in the middle of the river overnight. Loved Bagan and stayed there for over a week and saw the magnificent Valley of Temples with several thousand abandoned temples dotting the valley.  I had hoped to do the early morning sunrise balloon ride over the Temples but it was booked weeks in advance. The people were the nicest people that I have met ANYWHERE in the world. They honestly wanted to help you and it was not money motivated.






February 21st - March 2nd, 2014.    (MYANMAR,  Bagan)

Wonderful to revisit Burma (Myanmar) again since they are no longer under military rule. Flew from Bangkok straight to Mandalay where I spent a few days.  Then I took a boat to Bagan. The 8 hour boat ride took 32 hours as we ended up grounded due to low water in the middle of the river overnight. Loved Bagan and stayed there for over a week and saw the magnificent Valley of Temples with several thousand abandoned temples dotting the valley. I had hoped to take a sunrise balloon ride over the Temples  but all were booked weeks in advance.  I did climb to the top of several Temples for some good photos. The people were the nicest people that I have met ANYWHERE in the world. They honestly wanted to help you and it was not money motivated.



February 2, 2014.   (Flight to Hanoi, Vietnam)

This was my first trip to Vietnam. Unfortunately my impression was that everyone was trying to cheat me. I spent a few days seeing the sights and then a 3 day boat trip to Halong Bay. Once again myself and several other backpackers did not get what we paid for. Back to Hanoi for the night and then an overnight bus to Hue. 

February 10, 2014.   (Nightmare bus to Hue)

I SPECIFICALLY PAID FOR AN OVERNIGHT BUS WITH A TOILET.  It was written on my ticket. After boarding the bus I realized there was no toilet and began complaining. At some point the bus driver threatened to kick me off the bus in the middle of nowhere.  Finally he got the bus owner in the phone and I was transferred  to a bus with a toilet . Ironically  the buses arrived in Hue simultaneously.  I no longer practice law but SOMETIMES it will re-emerge and that's not a good thing typically. 

February 11-13th.   (VIETNAM,  Hue)

The major attraction is the 19th century Dai Noi Citadel, surrounded by a moat and nstone walls. It includes the Imperial City with palaces and shrines.


February  13-24th, 2014.    (VIETNAM,  Hoi Ann)

Hoi Ann happened just in time as I was getting disenchanted  with Vietnam.. I had planned on staying only a few days before continuing  to Ho Chi Minh City.  But that quickly changed and decided this would be my last destination  in Vietnam. Staying 11 night here was so easy. My hostel had a swimming pool, unlimited free breakfast with omelet, pancake and desert stations, plus the beautiful beaches were only a short distance away.  It sits on the Perfume River and in the evening they light floating lanterns. 

February 24-27th, 2014  (INDONESIA,  Denpasar and Ubud)

Only here a few days as the "typical " Bali beaches are not in my budget as my trip end. I caught a taxi straight from Denmark to Ubud which has cheaper accommodations,  the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary and amazing rice terraces. I found out from other backpackers that I should visit the budget friendly , beautiful Gili Islands.  From there I will take budget cruise Komodo Island to see the Komodo Dragons.


February 27th - March 2nd, 2014.   (INDONESIA,  Gili Islands)

The Gili Islands were everything I hoped for with cheap accommodations, cheap food and beautiful beaches. While here I booked a 5 day cruise through the Island to Komodo Island.



March 2-8th, 2014.  (5 night cruise to Komodo Island to Lombok)

A highlight of the trip to Indonesia was sailing for 5 days on a boat to Komodo Island. There were about 15 of us all sleeping on mats. We stopped at several islands and swam daily on a beautiful beach. The Komodo Dragons were incredible and they hunt deer and hogs and even attacked two rangers that were inside their office.

March 10, 2014.   (Lombok flight to Denpasar to New Orleans)

End of another GREAT ADVENTURE.    LML (LOVE MY LIFE)


CHAPTER 28.    (LONDON, ICELAND & GREENLAND) May 18 - May 33rd + (2 Group trips) May 24th - July 1st)

May 18, 2014.   (ENGLAND, London)

Spent 2 days in London before trip to Iceland and Greenland. Visited Big Ben, Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey and rode theLondon Eye (Ferris wheel) for views of the city. Then walked from Westminster Bridge along the Thames River to London Bridge. Beautiful sunny day with people laying out sunbathing anywhere they could find a place. Weather surprised me on my 1st trip to England as dreary weather was what I always associated it with.


May 19 -21st, 2014.   (ICELAND, Reykjavik)

Caught early flight from London, England to Reykjavik, Iceland. Walked around the city and the harbor. Next day took a tour to the Golden Circle. This day trip included (1) Thingvellia National Parl where the North American and European tectonic plates are separating by 2 cm per year. (2) Geysir which was largest Geysir but now dormant but the Strokkur Geysir was very active and (3) Gulfoss Waterfall. The last day went to the Blue Lagoon thermal spa before my flight.



May 21, 2014.  (GREENLAND)

I caught a turbo prop plane for the flight to Nuuk, Greenland from Reyjavil, Iceland. The 2 hour flight was almost $500 for the one way flight. Since very expensive and I have limited funds only spending one night there but walked around the seaside port of Nuuk and got great views from my flight to Greenland and subsequent flight to Denmark.


IRELAND, PARIS, ITALY and PORTUGAL  Family (May 24th - June 14th)



ITALY, PARIS, SCOTLAND, IRELAND Group  (June 14th -July 1st)


CHAPTER 29.   EASTERN EUROPE (September 27- November 8th)


September 30, 2014.   (CZECH REPUBLIC, Prague, Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral and Strahov Monastery)

I walked up to the Prague Castle which has great views overlooking Prague. On site is also the St. Vitus Cathedral which was beautiful but ABC (another big church). My highlight was a visit to the Strahov Monastery which produces some of the best beer in the world and has best view of Prague. However it was a little hazy when I visited. Also few random street shots. Bacarian Crystal is big here. Some of my shoppers would love it here.

 October 1, 2014.   (CZECH REPUBLIC, Cesky Krumlov)

After early morning pics on St. Charles Bridge I went on a tour to the beautiful village of Cesky Krumlov. Considered by all to be the most beautiful place in the Czech Republic. All day trip with 2.5 hrs each way from Prague. There was a slight rain most of the morning which hampered photos but improved right before we left. 


October 3, 2014.   (POLAND, Krakow)

Spent the day walking around Old Town and the castle. All night bus tonight to Lliv, Ukraine. 


October 4, 2014.   (UKRAINE,  Lviv)

After horrendous night on overnight bus which was so cramped I finally arrived in Lviv, Ukraine before daylight. Decided to pay for taxi because it was still dark and had difficult time finding anyone who spoke English or understood where I wanted to go. Finally found someone. Ironically the Hostel is in the Main Square with a huge banner on the building viewable by everyone. Could not check in for 6 hours as it was full so exhaustion had to wait. Left my bag and started seeing the sights which are not as many as I anticipated. Saw all the sights during the day after couple hours of sleep. Lviv is the most Ukranian of any ciy in the Ukraine with much of the eastern part being Ukraine/Russian, hence the hostilities. I also happened to be there on "Bride Saturday" with new  brides and their husbands roaming the streets with photographers. Lot of people getting married here.


October 5, 2014.    (HUNGARY,  Budapest)

Really enjoyed the beautiful mid 60's sunny day in Budapest. Walked over the Danube River and up to Castle Hill for great view of the city.


October 6, 2014

With all the major sights seen, I decided to spend time in the city park on this beautiful sunny day in high 60's. In cities, which I do not particularly care for, parks are their redeeming quality. In the park was a castle and spa with public baths which seemed very popular. 


October 7, 2014.   (ROMANIA,  Brasov)

Love Brasov, Romania and surrounding area of Transylvania that I have seen. Could really spend a lot of time here as it is beautiful and fairly inexpensive.

October 8, 2014.   (ROMANIA, Dracula's Castle, Peles Castle, & Transfagarasan Highway)

Visited the famous Dracula Castle and there is nothing in truth to Vlad Dracula (Vlad the Impaler) and any ties to vampirism. Those in Romania have long believed in vampires but Vlad was never considered one. His story was made up by Bram Stoker who supposedly never visited Bran Castle or Romania. Vlad the Impaler was noted for his cruelty impaling many of his enemies on dull posts driven through the body. He also never lived in Bran Castle as it was built only as a staging place for his armies to defend or make war plans. The Castle was made livable as a summer home by Queen Maria who was originally from England. She loved this area but hated extravagance and made the castle a very simple place to live with simple furniture. It did have the 2nd elevator built in the world installed since she had a bad foot and loved to visit the garden below the castle. The elevator was installed INSIDE an abandoned well on the castle grounds. This castle was in stark contrast to Peles Castle where other members of royal family would stay.

Visited Peles Castle today. The amazing wood detail is impossible to show through pictures. I refused to pay $10 to take my own photos inside so pulled some off the internet. The first few pics are mine, obviously. Unfortunately it was raining when we arrived. 

Great day driving up this highway with spectacular views especially with the Autumn leaves and small glacier lake at the top.


October 14, 2014.   (BULGARIA, Sofia, Rila Monastery)

Went on a tour to the Rila Monastery about 2 hours out of Sofia. The drive through the mountains was spectacular with the changing of the leaves and magnified when we saw this beautiful monastery nestled in the mountains. The monastery's church was spectacular but unfortunately were not allowed to take pictures. Good day.


October 16, 2014.   (MACEDONIA,  Orhid)

Arrived in Ohrid last night after 3.5 hour bus ride from Skopje. Now time to tell on myself because "stuff" happens backpacking.  Then you just make the best of the situation. After arriving at the bus station I looked at my directions to the hostel which claimed it was only a 3 minute walk. I, of course, refused advances by taxi divers. Long story short. After an hour of looking for the street, I looked back at reservation on my mini ipad and realized I booked the hostel in Skopje and not Ohrid. I had changed my plans at last minute to go to Ohrid but forgot about changing hostel plans. Lol Anyway, taxi driver led me to my current hostel which is amazing. Life goes on.

Walked along the lake and then climbed up to the church for great views of the lake. Most photographed spot in Ohrid according to locals. Then nice hike UP to Samuel's Fortress whose walls are mostly intact but nothing remains within the walls. Also visited the Ancient Roman Amphitheater. Several of the rows of stone seating were removed to accommodate gladiators.


October 18, 2014.  (ALBANIA, Tilaran)

Taxi to Struga then bus to Tilaran, Albania (4 hrs). Only 1 night here which was plenty. Not very exciting from what I saw. Supposedly has lively nightlife but trying to keep costs down. Fly to Belgrade, Serbia tomorrow.


October 19-22nd, 2014.   (SERBIA,  Belgrade)

Staying at Madness Hostel near Republic Square, the center of everything. So far only person staying at the hostel. Lots of pedestrian sidewalk cafes and shopping and they are very proud of their nightlife.

I did the FREE (tips appreciated) guided walking tour around Belgrade which lasted 3 hours. I, personally, am not a guided tour kinda person where they overload you with 1500 years of the cities history but some are.  The tour started off somewhat unusual as we were all given a shot of RAKIA, the local plum liquer, that can be lethal. Nothing like a shot at 11 am. The walk was really nice and enjoyed the Belgrade Fortress overlooking the Danube River. 3 nights in Belgrade and then flying to Split, Croatia for hopefully fun n sun.


Next day I enjoyed my favorite day of each place I visit. It usually involves walking around, obseving and watching everyday life of the country I am visiting. Revisited the Belgrade Fortress and had so much better time than on the tour. Saw more and had a chance to explore. The Fortress has the Sava River and Danube River on two sides. The rivers converge at one point.

October 22 -30, 2014.   (CROATIA,  Split)

Flew into Split from Belgrade on cheap flight as I seem to be getting a little lazier as my journey begins winding down. ( 3 weeks left) Croatia is to be the "vacation" part of my journey which I always try to include on every trip. I have been to Dubrovnik before but my first time here. I am staying in Split 5 nights and Hvar Town for 4 nights then to Zagreb for one night. The city is beautiful and combined with all the sailboats on the Adriatic Sea it is that much more picturesque. Hiked to the park which overlooks the city and got a "birdseye" view of the city and harbor. Breathtaking is best word to describe. Weather has been amazing.


October 25, 2014.   (BOSNIA, Mostar (visiting famous Stari Most bridge)

Up at 4:30 am to catch the 6 am and 4 hour bus to Mostar. The road was high in the mountains and while I wanted to sleep, could not keep from watching the winding roads with the 1000 foot drops. The bridge was impressive and enjoyed the "old town".


October 26, 2014.   (CROATIA,  Krka National Park)

Krka National Park is situated along the Krka River in southern Croatia. It's known for a series of 7 waterfalls. In the south, Skradinski Buk waterfall is flanked by traditional watermills. To the north, a nature trail passes another striking cascade, Roški Slap, and the Krka Monastery, built above ancient Roman catacombs. Visovac Island is home to the 15th-century Franciscan Monastery of Our Lady of Mercy. ― Google


October 27, 2014. (Hvar Town and Fortress)

I took the short ferry ride to Hvar to spend 2 nights to see the sights and visit the Fortress which is well preserved and overlooks the town.


November 1, 2014.   (SLOVENIA, Ljubljana and Bled Lake)


Spent 2 nights in Ljubljana. Beautiful Old Town with Castle high above the city. Did a day trip to Bled Lake and really enjoyed it.


November 3 - 8th, 2014.   (AUSTRIA, Vienna)

Spent the 1st morning visiting the Hopsburg Palace, Vienna Opera House, Parliament and several other old beautiful building. 

That afternoon I realized that the Hostel was walking distance (20 minutes) to the Shonbrunn Palace. It was 4:00 pm so I only had 45 minutes of daylight left. (Gets dark at 4:45 pm, no daylight savings here). I made it in time to take some pics and climb the hill for beautiful view of the Palace and Vienna at sunset. Beautiful gardens everywhere but did not have enough time. Went back again the next day for 3 more hours. 


November 7, 2014.    (SLOVAKIA, Bratislava)

Left Vienna and went to Visit Baratislava, Slovakia which was only an hour by train from Vienna. The "old town" was very small. Like many places in Eastern Europe there was a castle perched above the city. 



CHAPTER 30.   JORDAN  (November 8th - November 15th)

November 8, 2014.   (JORDAN, Petra)

1 train, 2 flights and 2 buses and I arrived at PETRA, one of and LAST of the 7 Wonders of the World for me to visit. I arrived at Amman Airport at 4 am and after paying the $56 Visa fee, waited until 5 am for the cheap bus shuttle to Abdali bus station. That is where the Jett Bus to Petra was to depart at 6:30 am. Of course, that's not what happened. EVERYONE told me we stopped at Abdali bus station but no one told thebus driver. Lol  ended up at another bus station and had to take $10 taxi to catch the bus to Petra. PLUS, since I was visiting Petra from the airport I had my 15 pound backpack to carry for the 5 hours I hiked around the ruins which were spread out. The climb to the viewpoint overlooking the Monastery was 914 steps. No sleep in 36 hours, 15 pound backpack and already walked 1 hour BEFORE climbing the steps. Just part of the "backpacking" job description. Lol A luggage storage would have been nice. Lol  

The "Treasury" and "Monastery" were my favorites and quite impressive. No doubt why it is considered one of the modern 7 Wonders of the World". 

Wikipedia

Petra (Arabic: البتراء, Al-BatrāʾAncient Greek: Πέτρα) is a historicaland archaeological city in the southern Jordanian governorate of Ma'an that is famous for its rock-cut architecture and water conduit system. Another name for Petra is the Rose City due to the color of the stone out of which it is carved.

Established possibly as early as 312 BC as the capital city of the Nabataeans,[2] it is a symbol of Jordan, as well as Jordan's most-visited tourist attraction.[3] It lies on the slope of Jebel al-Madhbah(identified by some as the biblical Mount Hor[4]) in a basin among the mountains which form the eastern flank of Arabah (Wadi Araba), the large valley running from the Dead Sea to the Gulf of Aqaba. Petra has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985.

The site remained unknown to the Western world until 1812, when it was introduced by Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt. It was described as "a rose-red city half as old as time" in a Newdigate Prize-winning poem by John William Burgon. UNESCO has described it as "one of the most precious cultural properties of man's cultural heritage".[5] See: UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists. Petra was chosen by the Smithsonian Magazine as one of the "28 Places to See Before You Die".[6]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Section 11. (2016 Travels)

CHAPTER 33.    (CARIBBEAN  ISLANDS) (1) ARUBA January 4, 2016 After long 24 hours of travel (14 hours in Charlotte airport) I finally reache...